We're defiantly getting involved into this whole "Geek Day"trend: otherwise know as a day to worship... Star Wars??
Regardless, we're in the spirt and are proudly celebrating May the 4th with all the geeks around the world. Why? Because let's face it, we all have a little "inner geek".
Star Wars Book Bag
What You Need:
- Star Wars fabric, sheets, t-shirts, blankets, etc.
- Needle and thread
- Straight pins
1. Decide how big you want your bag to be. Lay the fabric down on the floor and place the books you'll be carrying in it on top (that way you can eyeball how big you want it to be). Cut one big rectangle of fabric that can fold over your books.
2. Fold the fabric to make one big square *ugly sides facing out, when straight pin the sides in place together. As you're pinning them together, fold and pin about 1/2 inch-1 inch around the square. This will be your hem so the bag won;t have jagged fabric edges and will look nicer when you're finished sewing.
3. Use a simple stitch to sew together only the two opposite sides of the fabric together (you can turn it right side out again). Think of it as sewing a pillowcase. When you are done sewing the sides, hem the edges of the open side too (just don't sew shut!). Now turn the fabric right side out so the nice side of the fabric is showing.
4. If you want to make a pocket, cut out a square of fabric a little larger than what you want the pocket size to be. Hen all 4 side so it has a smooth edge, then sew it to the front of your bag. Be careful not to sew the pocket all the way through both side of the bag!
5. For the handles use the same or different fabric, in this case we used Star Wars patterned fleece. Cut out two large, long rectangles of fabric. Fold over each piece so it looks like you have two fabric snakes. Sew the long side shut on each. Then make a U with each and pin them to the tops of your bag opening.
6. Decorate your bag even more with pins and badges like we did here. Load it up and show it off!
DIY project found @ www.starwars.com